I wasn’t sure that I would be able to convince myself, especially a second time around. This wasn’t my first donation—although… that was back in the 5th grade when I only let 8 inches go. As a college student with a lot more hair to give, I decided I was (sort of) ready again. Before I knew it, a foot and a half of hair was GONE. Gone, and soon shipped off to someone who needed it!
I do miss my long hair… I really do. It took me quite some time to get it to that length, and it became “a part of who I was” in a way. For example, I could be referred to as “oh, yeah, MaKenna, with the really long hair!” But now I’m just…MaKenna.
At least that’s how I saw it for a little while. As much as I missed my hair when I cut it those few months ago, I still also really loved the new do that I got. It made me realize that I didn’t need my long hair to be happy and I didn’t even need it to be “myself!” I came to realize I could be happy with longer hair OR shorter hair.
Here’s what makes me feel good about donating my hair and getting rid of some literal weight.
- I use one third the amount of shampoo I used to use
- Conditioner is like one pump now, too
- I’m saving money since I don’t have to buy these products as often
- My showers are a lot quicker
- It takes zero time to dry my hair
- My head is as light as a feather
- I can actually ride in convertibles without getting whipped in the face
- I don’t feel like I have to style my hair as much
- If I do style my hair, it takes half the amount of time
- Ponytails don’t give me headaches
- My hair actually holds a curl now
- It feels so much healthier
- My hair seems way thicker
- No more split ends!
- I am helping a person in need with my donation
- I am able to feel beautiful no matter what my hair looks like
- There are new “only shorthair” hairstyles I get to try now
- Now my hair feels like it grows back faster
- I wasn’t wearing a fur coat during the hottest months of the year
- Change is good
And there you have it—20 things to be thankful for. I’m sure I could come up with many more because it’s always easier to count the positives over the negatives. 🙂 With long hair or short hair, I’ve got a smile on my face! My smile is even brighter knowing I helped someone who needed that hair way more than I did!
I’m thankful for my friend’s mom who cut my hair, because that was a risky job to take on! Luckily I didn’t hate her afterwards, in fact I was blessed to have her—she made me feel so lovely with my new look!
Pantene Beautiful Lengths is definitely my recommendation if you’re looking to donate your hair in the future. Pantene produces wigs for cancer patients FOR FREE unlike some other options out there, and you only have to donate 8 inches of hair.
“To us, it’s hair. To women battling cancer, it’s hope.”
First check to see if you’re eligible, then go HERE to make the cut.